30 January, 2023
Wonton SoupPosted in : Soups on by : MikeZ Tags: Soup, wontons
A seriously delicious recipe for comfort food in a bowl. The perfect thing for cold, wintery days.Difficulty: Beginner
- 2 Large Pot
- 1 Medium Mixing Bowl
- 1 pkg. Wonton Wrappers
- Cold Water - to seal wontons
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 Green Onions - chopped
- 1 Tbsp Rice Wine or Dry Sherry
- 1 ½ Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Ginger - freshly grated (NOT dry Ground Ginger)
- 1 ½ tsp Sugar
- 1 Egg - lightly beaten
- Salt - to taste
- 64 oz. Chicken Broth - (8 cups)
- Choice of bok choy, carrots, cabbage, or broccoli - (optional)
- 3-4 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1½ Tbsp Sesame Oil
- Mix Filling Ingredients in a bowl. Use your hands to mix everything evenly.
- Place a heaping teaspoonful of the meat mixture in the middle of the wonton wrapper.
- Using cold water, dampen all four sides of the wrapper. Pull all the corners of the wonton wrapper towards the middle and then press firmly until they stick together and are sealed properly. Set aside.
Cook the wontons:
- In a separate pot bring 5 qts. water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add the wontons in batches and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until they float. (Cooking the wontons separately prevents them from clouding the broth with extra flour.)
- Remove the wontons with a slotted spoon or simply drain. Set aside.
Make the Broth:
- In a second pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil while cooking the wontons.
- Season the broth with soy sauce.
- Optional: At this point, add any veggies and cook just until they are just slightly past crisp – then remove them with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the sesame oil. Give a quick stir. Turn off the heat. The Broth is ready.
- To serve, ladle the cooked wontons into a bowl. Add the chopped green onions and vegetables (if used). Cover with broth.
- Just before eating, add a few drops of sesame oil for that nutty yummy sesame taste.
Do not substitute using ground ginger. Fresh ginger is what really makes the filling delicious. Be careful with salt. There is plenty in the Soy Sauce. Use your imagination when forming/sealing the wontons. There are countless shapes to make YOUR wontons special. Serve with vegetables, thin wonton noodles, or a side of rice.
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved