5 February, 2023
Chili – Cincinnati StylePosted in : Bread, Misc, Pasta on by : MikeZ
A robust and delicious chili! Not exactly from Youngstown but if you’ve tasted it, you’ll want to have it again. A perfect comfort food for fall and winter nights!
- Large Stock Pot
- 16 oz. Tomato Sauce
- 12 oz. Tomato Paste
- 1 Yellow Onion - grated
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Garlic Salt
- ½ tsp. Ground Allspice
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper - Freshly Ground
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ tsp. Ground Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Lbs. Chuck - ground fine
- 1 Tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Lb. Spaghetti - cooked al denté.
- 1 15 oz. can Kidney Beans - drained
- 1 White Onion - diced
- 16 oz. Cheddar Cheese - grated
- Hot sauce - optional
- Oyster crackers - for serving
- In a stockpot, combine the tomato sauce, tomato paste, onions, chili powder, cocoa powder, sugar, kosher salt, cinnamon, cumin, garlic salt, allspice, pepper, cayenne, cloves, bay leaves, beef (do not brown first) and 2 cups water. Mix until combined.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours over medium-low heat. Stir in the vinegar and simmer for another 30 minutes. Then remove bay leaves.
- Serve Chili on a bed of spaghetti topped with the beans, onions and a mound of cheese (or your preferred combination).
- Optionally, add hot sauce &/or Oyster Crackers.
Recipe may be proportionately adjusted if you use more or less beef. Adjust the spiciness (heat) to your liking. A half tsp. of cayenne is normal for 2 Lbs. of beef. This is also a great topping for hotdogs or burgers. Ordering Nomenclature:
- 5-way = Spaghetti, Chili, Onions, Beans, and Cheese.
- 4-way = Spaghetti, Chili, Onions or Beans, and Cheese.
- 3-way = Spaghetti, Chili and Cheese.
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved