27 December, 2021
Christmas SoupPosted in : Soups on by : MikeZ
Slovak Sauerkraut & Mushroom SoupDifficulty: Easy
- Large Soup Pot
- Large & Small Skillet
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 2 oz. Dried Mushrooms
- 6 cups Water
- 1 Medium Onion - whole
- 1 Large Onion - thinly sliced
- Salt - to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper - to taste
- 1-2 cups Sauerkraut Juice - to taste
- 1 cup Sauerkraut
- ¼ cup AP Flour
- 5 to 7 Tbsp. Vegitable Oil - or Butter
- ½ cup AP Flour
- 1 cup Water
- In a medium bowl, combine the dried mushrooms and 2 cups of the warm water. Cover with plastic and let soak overnight.
- The next day, remove the mushrooms from the soaking liquid without disturbing the sediment at the bottom and chop them into smaller pieces.
- Carefully add the soaking liquid into a large pot without disturbing the sediment at the bottom. Add the chopped mushrooms, 4 cups water, the whole onion, sauerkraut, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until mushrooms are tender.
- Remove onion and add 3/4 cup sauerkraut juice.
- In a small skillet, brown the flour in 4 tablespoons oil to make a dark brown roux and add to soup, whisking until smooth.
- Temper the mixture of 1/2 cup flour and 1 cup water by adding a little hot soup into it, whisking until smooth. Pour the tempered mixture through a strainer back into the hot soup, stirring constantly.
- In a large skillet, add 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil and brown the sliced onion until darkand caramelized. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, add browned onions to soup, mixing well.
Shared by Martina Harris December 27, 2021
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved