8 January, 2022
Apple StrudelPosted in : Desserts on by : MikeZ
This is a never-fail favorite among young and old alike It may seam complicated but after you've done a few, you can do them in your sleep.Difficulty: Medium
- ½ cup Golden Raisins
- 2 Tbsp. Apple Cider (or Juice) - Water may be substituted
- 6 Tbsp. Butter - 3/4 stick
- ¼ cup Bread Crumbs - plain
- 2 Golden Delicious apples - 2 small, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 McIntosh apples - 2 small, peeled, cored, and sliced
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar - plus 2 tablespoons
- ⅓ cup Finely Chopped Walnuts - toasted (optional)
- ¼ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 5 sheets Phyllo Dough - defrosted
- 1 ½ tsp. powdered Sugar - For final dusting
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Combine Raisins and Apple Juice in a small microwave-safe bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high until simmering, about 1 minute. Let stand, covered, until needed.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small skillet over medium heat. When foaming subsides, add Bread Crumbs and cook, stirring constantly until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer bread crumbs to a large bowl.
- Drain off and discard any remaining liquid from Raisins. Then toss Apples, Raisins, 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar, Walnuts, Cinnamon, Salt, and Lemon Juice in with the Brad Crumbs to combine. Mix well with a heavy spoon.
- Melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of Butter in a small bowl. Be ready with a soft-bristled Pastry Brush to apply Butter to each Phyllo sheet. (Extra Butter may be needed.)
- Be very gentle when handling Phyllo sheets. They are very fragile and tear very easily. Each tear may become a crack in the finished Strudel.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper larger than the Phyllo sheets on your work surface with the long edge toward you. Lightly sprinkle Sugar on Parchment. Place a single Phyllo sheet on parchment and brush lightly with melted Butter.
- Sprinkle with Sugar and add another sheet of Phyllo. Butter as before.
- Repeat until you have buttered the last of five or six sheets.
- Place filling in a 3" wide strip about 2 1/2" from the near edge and 2" from each side of the top Phyllo sheet.
- Fold short ends of Phyllo over filling. Fold end closest to you over filling.
- Roll loosely, using the parchment to assist in rolling. Leave roll on the paper, seam side down and transfer (paper and all) to a baking sheet.
- Brush with Butter and sprinkle the top of the roll with Sugar.
- Cut four 1-inch vents into the top of Strudel for steam to escape.
- Bake until golden brown, 10 – 12 minutes. Watch carefully. The roll will brown quickly. Cool in the baking sheet on a wire rack until warm, about 40 minutes.
- Place Powdered Sugar in a fine-mesh strainer and dust Strudel. Using 2 large spatulas, transfer the Strudel to a platter or cutting board; cut into slices with a serrated knife; and serve.
- Optionally, top with Whipped Cream or serve beside a scoop of Ice Cream.
This recipe will make TWO 9″ Strudel Rolls using only half of a box of Phyllo Dough Sheets.
Copyright © 2021 – 2022 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved