25 November, 2021
Spaghetti CarbonaraPosted in : Sides on by : MikeZ
Your favorite Spaghetti with a truly traditional White Sauce straight from Rome. Far better than ANY restaurant offeringDifficulty: Expert
- Large Spaghetti Pot
- 12” Covered Skillet with Deep Sides
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 1 Lb. Uncooked Spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp. Salt - For Boiling Spaghetti
- 10 oz. Bacon or Pancetta - diced
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 4 Egg Yolks
- ½ cup Romano Cheese - finely grated
- ½ cup reserved Pasta Water
- Salt & Black Pepper
- In a large pot, boil water for pasta. Add a tablespoon of Salt.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Reserve 1 cup of Pasta Water. Drain pasta and set aside. Do not rinse.
- In a skillet large enough for all the pasta, cook bacon over medium heat until cooked but not crispy..
- Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Leave Approximately 2 Tbsp. rendered bacon grease in Skillet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 2 whole eggs plus 4 egg yolks.
- Combine with cheese and 2 tablespoons reserved pasta water. Set aside.
- Add pasta to the skillet and toss well with bacon fat.
- Remove from heat and pile pasta in the center. Toss, using tongs, while slowly pouring the egg mixture over the hot pasta, tossing quickly to heat the sauce over the pasta. If you pour too quickly, the eggs will scramble.
- Toss for 2 minutes, pasta starch will help sauce thicken, along with residual heat. Add cooked bacon back to the mix.
- If your sauce is too watery, add more cheese. If the sauce is too thick or clumpy, slowly add more pasta water.
- Transfer to serving dishes and season with freshly ground pepper, salt and additional cheese. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved