12 October, 2021
Potatoes – ScallopedPosted in : Sides on by : MikeZ
Serve Au Gratin or Plain. These Scallops are sure to be a welcome addition to your favorite Entre'.Difficulty: Rasy
- 9” x 13” Baking Dish or Dutch Oven
- 2 Quart Sauté Pot
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 large Onion – diced
- 2 cloves Garlic – minced
- ¼ cup Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 3 pounds white Potatoes sliced about 1/8″ thick
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese - Optional
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Combine Milk and Broth in a separate bowl.
- Melt Butter, Onion, and Garlic over medium-low heat in a sauté pot. Sauté until Onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add Flour and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low. Add a small amount of liquid to the sauté pot at a time, whisking to thicken. The mixture will become very thick, continue adding a little bit of liquid at a time, whisking until smooth.
- When all of the liquid has been added, bring to a boil over medium heat while continuing to whisk.
- Add Salt and Pepper and let boil for 1 minute.
- Taste. Add more Salt and Pepper if needed.
- Remove from heat and add Cheese (if making au gratin) stirring to combine.
- Grease a 9″x13″ baking dish.
- Place 1/3 of the Potatoes in the bottom and season with Salt and Pepper.
- Pour 1/3 of the cream sauce over layer.
- Repeat layers ending with cream sauce. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and potatoes are tender.
- Optional: Broil on high for 3-4 minutes to obtain a golden top.
- Allow to rest, uncovered, for 15 minutes before serving.
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved