1 December, 2021
Potato PancakesPosted in : Sides on by : MikeZ
Potato Pancakes (LATKES)
Perfectly Crisp Potato Pancakes in a true German style. Wonderful with a dollup of Sour Cream on top.Difficulty: Beginner
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Small Mixing Bowl
- 12” Skillet
- 2½ Lbs. Russet Potatoes - peeled and grated
- ½ Yellow Onion - grated
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Tbsp. AP Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil - for frying
- Finely Grate potatoes and onion into a large bowl with 2" cold water. Let rest until potatoes and onion are completely soaked, 20 to 30 minutes. Pour potato mixture into a colander, rinse, drain, and squeeze repeatedly to remove all moisture. Squeeze it again The mixture must be DRY!
- Whisk eggs, flour, salt, black and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Pour egg mixture into the large bowl and combine throughly with a spatula.
- Heat 1/4-inch oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, drop large spoonfuls of potato batter into hot oil and flatten with a spatula to about 1/2-inch thick.
- Cook until the edges of pancakes are golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, flip pancakes, and cook until golden brown and crispy on the other side, about 5 minutes more.
- Repeat frying process with remaining batter.
Cover the bowl of batter with plastic wrap between uses to keep it from turning brown. Thoroughly squeeze all the liquid from the potatoes before mixing with the egg mixture. Otherwise, the pancakes will NOT crisp up.
Copyright © 2021 – 2022 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved