5 October, 2022
Onion StringsPosted in : Sides on by : MikeZ
Easy Onion Strings
A crispy and delicious side dish or appetizer. Add them to Burgers or sandwiches as a condiment. Difficulty: Medium
- 1 Gal. Zip-top Bag
- 10" Cast Iron Skillet
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- Wire rack to fit into Baking Sheet
- 1 Sweet Onion - Large
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups AP Flour
- 2 Tbsp Blackened Seasoning*
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 cups EVOO
- Peel onion, cut in half thinly sliced. Place in a bowl and cover with buttermilk.
- Mix flour and seasonings together in a zip-top bag.
- Add a few onion slices to the bag, seal, and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet to 350°F. Add onions a few at a time until crispy. Remove to a wire rack to drain.
* – See the Blackened Seasoning Recipe HERE. Double as needed.
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved