5 October, 2022
Onion RingsPosted in : Sides on by : MikeZ
Homemade Onion Rings
Crunchy homemade onion rings seasoned to your liking. Simple to make.Difficulty: Medium
- 12” Skillet
- 3 Mixing Bowls
- Wire rack for draining
- 2 Large Yellow Onions - cut into 1/2 slices
- 1 cup AP Flour - divided
- ¾ cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Paprika
- 2 tsp. Pepper - divided
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. Frank's Hot Sauce *
- 1 ½ cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. Seasoning Salt
- 2 cups Canola Oil - for frying
- Using a heavy bottom skillet, heat oil over medium heat. (350°F.)
- Set up a dredging station with 3 bowls.
- Bowl #1 – Combine ½ cup flour and 1 tsp pepper. Set aside.
- Bowl #2 – Combine remaining flour, buttermilk, egg, baking powder, paprika, salt and pepper and 2 – 3 Tbsp. of Franks Hot Sauce. Mix well.
- Bowl #3 – Breadcrumbs.
- Working in small batches, dredge the rings in the flour, followed by a dip in the batter and then into the breadcrumbs.
- Place in hot oil and fry until both sides are golden brown – about 3 minutes, still working in batches.
- Drain off oil onto paper towels or wire rack. Continue until all the onions are done.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
* Adjust Hot Sauce to your preferred Heat.
Copyright © 2021 – 2022 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved