1 October, 2023
Mushroom GravyPosted in : Sauces on by : MikeZ
A Brown Mushroom Gravy with an incredibly rich flavor. Delicious over roasts, steaks, meatloaf, roast chicken, potatoes, vegetables, and more!Difficulty: Beginner
- Medium SaucePan
- 2 Tbsp. Butter - See Notes
- 1 Yellow Onion - finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic - minced
- 16 oz. Mushrooms - cleaned and sliced
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 Tbsp. AP Flour
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- ½ tsp. Sugar
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp. Dried Thyme - (Optional) See Note
- 1 tsp. Dark Balsamic Vinegar - (Optional) See Note
- 2 Tbsp. Heavy Cream - to thicken at the finish (Optional)
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat and fry the onions until beginning to brown. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 7-8 minutes or until golden and the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the butter and melt. Add the flour, whisk to combine and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beef broth, vinegar, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk continuously until the gravy is thickened. Cover and simmer on low, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Too thick? Add a splash of water or heavy cream (if using) to thin.
Optionally, use bacon grease, lard, or beef drippings instead of the butter. If you prefer a traditional German gravy, omit the balsamic vinegar and thyme.
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved