4 November, 2021
KapustaPosted in : Pork on by : MikeZ
Kapusta (Kapustnica) Sauerkraut & Potato Soup
Just the thing for a cold winter supper. Slovak in Origin but a favorite everywhere. My Polish Neighbor made this every Saturday. This is my own variation…Difficulty: Easy
- Large Soup Pot
- Small Frying Pan
- 2 Lb Bag Shredded Sauerkraut - Well Rinsed
- 1 ½ Lb Russet Potatos - Peeled & Cubed
- 1 Pkg Polish Kielbasa - sausage 14oz
- 1 Can Mushroom Pieces - 8oz drained
- 1 Medium Onion - Chopped
- 3 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbs Hungarian Paprika - Add at end
- 12 Peppercorns - White or Black
- 6 Bay Leaves
- Thoroughly rinse Sauerkraut
- Peel & cube Potatoes
- Chop Onion and sauté in small frying pan with Butter until soft then put into large soup pot.
- Slice Kielbasa into 1/2” slices and brown in frying pan with Butter left from Onions. Place into Soup Pot. Add Sauerkraut, Mushrooms & Potatoes plus just enough Water to cover.
- Deglaze frying pan with dash of water and add to Pot.
- Put Peppercorns and Bay leaves into a Cheesecloth bag, tie off and add to Pot.
- Bring to Boil for 20 minutes
- Reduce heat and Simmer, covered, for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are desired softness. (Some prefer potatoes to completely fall apart.)
- 10 minutes before it’s done, remove Spice Bag, add Paprika and stir well to blend in.
Copyright © 2021 – 2022 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved