22 October, 2022
Apple DumplingsPosted in : Breakfast, Desserts on by : MikeZ
Six delicious Dumplings your whole family will love, plain or with Ice Cream. Like a slice of Apple Pie in a single-serving wrapper. Difficulty: Medium
- 9" x 13" Glass Casserole
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Small Sauce Pan
- 2 cups AP Flour - plus more for dusting
- Pinch Salt
- ¾ cup Lard - softened
- 4 Tbsp Butter - unsalted, softened
- ½ cup Water
- 6 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Butter - unsalted, softened – cut into 12 pieces
- Ground Cinnamon - for sprinkling inside
- 3 cups Water
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Butter - unsalted
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Raw Sugar Crystals - to Sprinkle on finished Dumplings
For the pastry dough:
- Mix together the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the lard and butter and mix with your hands until crumbly. Slowly add the water and mix until the dough comes together, then coat with flour to prevent sticking.
- Refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 2 hours and preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Roll out the dough, 1/8" thick, on a lightly floured surface and cut into six 7" x 7" squares,
For the apple filling:
- Peel and core the apples. Slice into quarters but leave together. Place each apple in the center of a dough square. Put 1 piece of butter into the center of each apple. Push some brown sugar down on top of the butter until packed tight. Put a second piece of butter on top of the sugar. Sprinkle cinnamon liberally across the dough and the filled apples.
- Fold opposite corners of the dough up around each apple, being careful not to leave any parts of the apples exposed.
- Place the apples in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
For the dumpling sauce:
- Combine the water, granulated sugar, butter and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the dumpling sauce over each dumpling and pour the excess sauce into the baking dish. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle raw sugar crystals over top and serve warm.
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved