13 November, 2021
StruffoliPosted in : Cookies on by : MikeZ
Little balls of dough in a honey/sugar glaze, with nonpareil sprinkles. Traditionally, Italian Christmas treats.Difficulty: Easy
- Large Saucepan (for frying)
- Small Saucepan (for Glaze)
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup White Sugar
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Baking POWDER
- ¼ cup AP Flour
- 2 cups Vegetable Oil - for frying
- ½ cup Honey - or more to taste
- ½ cup White Sugar - or more to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Rainbow Nonpareil Sprinkles
- Beat eggs, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, and vanilla extract together in a bowl; stir in baking powder.
- Slowly stir flour, about 1 tablespoon at a time, into egg mixture until a soft dough forms. Roll dough into small balls.
- Heat 2 cups vegetable oil in a large saucepan to 350°F or until you see little waves on the bottom of the saucepan.
- Working in small batches, fry dough balls in the hot oil until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Transfer struffoli to a paper towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon.
- Heat honey in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly mix 1/2 cup sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, into honey until sugar is melted and glaze is smooth about 5 minutes.
- Transfer struffoli to a large bowl and pour glaze over the top; toss quickly to evenly coat before the glaze hardens.
- Form struffoli into a tower-shape or Christmas tree-shape on a serving plate. Sprinkle nonpareils sprinkles over the struffoli.
Shared by Pat Tucci – November 26. 2019
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved