24 December, 2022
Kolache Cookies – Old SchoolPosted in : Cookies, Desserts on by : MikeZ
A traditional Eastern European Jam-filled Puff Pastry Cookie dusted in Powdered Sugar. A real Holiday Treat for the whole family.Difficulty: Medium
- 1 Electric Mixer
- Baking Sheets & Parchment Paper
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Medium Mixing Bowl
- 8 oz Cream Cheese - softened
- 12 oz. Unsalted Butter - softened (3 sticks)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 ¼ cups AP Flour
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar - for dusting
- ½ Jar Fruit Jam - Approx. 6 oz.
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (optional *) - softened
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Add flour and salt and mix until combined.
- Transfer dough to a work surface and divide in 4 parts. Shape each into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare cream cheese filing by beating cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar in your mixer’s bowl.
- Take dough out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Dust your working surface with powdered sugar and roll out each ball to a 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut 3×3 inch squares. Fill centers with 1/2 tsp jam and 1/2 tsp cream cheese filling. (You can use a pastry bag for a nicer presentation). Slightly overlap two opposite corners of dough at the center and press to seal.
- For pinwheel shape, cut a 1-inch slit diagonally on each corner of the squares. Then bring each corner to the center to form pinwheel.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Transfer pastries to baking sheets, leaving 2 inches of space in between. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges are browned. (Baking time may vary, depending on ingredients, baking sheets and oven used).
- Cool on a wire rack. Generously dust with powdered sugar.
* If you omit Cream Cheese from the Filling, use the entire Jar of Fruit Jam. This makes 4 to 5 dozen cookies depending on the size and thickness of the dough.
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved