20 October, 2022
Holiday Cake – 4 LayerPosted in : Cookies, Desserts on by : MikeZ
Chocolate 4 Layer Holiday Cake
A Special Holiday 4-Layer Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting and Vanilla Filling to make any occasion a holiday. Difficulty: Medium
- 2 9" Cake Pans Greased & Floured.
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl For Cake Mix.
- 1 Heavy Pan For Filling on Stovetop.
- 1 Small Mixing Bowl For Icing.
- Electric Hand Mixer
- ⅔ Cup Soft Shortening
- 1 ⅔ Cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 ¼ Cup Cake Flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. Soda
- ¼ tsp. Baking POWDER
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 ⅓ Cup Water
- 1 t. Vanilla
- ⅔ Cup Cocoa
- ¾ Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 3 Eggs
- 1 ½ Cup Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- ½ Cup Creamed Butter
- ½ tsp. Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 Small Egg
- 1 Sq. Unsweetened Chocolate
- Preheat Oven to 350 F.
- Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs and beat for 5 minutes.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, and salt and add alternately with water and vanilla. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer.
- Divide into 2 9" greased and floured layer cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- (While they are baking, make the filling.)
- Remove from pans. Cool completely.
- Split each layer into 2 to make 4 layers and fill with filling.
- Combine sugar, corn starch and eggs in a heavy pan. Beat until light and fluffy with an electric hand mixer.
- Add milk and cook until thickened, stirring constantly to avoid scorching.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Cool, stirring often while blending in the butter.
- Spread on layers.
- Cream butter, blend in confectioner’s sugar, egg and beat well. Add chocolate and vanilla and beat until smooth. Spread on top and sides.
This recipe was submitted by Frances Mrugala of Salem.
Copyright © 2021 – 2022 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved