21 January, 2023
Sausage BallsPosted in : Appetizers, Pork on by : MikeZ
A delicious hot appetizer that is sure to spice up your Appetizer Plate. The depth of flavor comes from Worcestershire mixed in with the Cheddar. Difficulty: Easy
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- ½ lb. Sausage - raw – bulk or links
- ½ lb. Cheddar Cheese - shredded
- 6 oz. AP Flour - BY WEIGHT
- 1 ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 ½ tsp. Poultry Seasoning
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper - to taste
- ⅜ tsp. Cayenne Pepper - optional
- 1 ¼ oz. Butter
- 3 oz. Worcestershire Sauce
- Heat the oven to 350° F.
- Shred the cheese, and break up the raw sausage into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, poultry seasoning, and pepper until well combined.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and rub it in with your fingers until the mixture is uniform with no visible bits of butter.
- If using sausage links, slice them open lengthwise and remove the casing.
- Add the raw sausage and toss all the ingredients together lightly, then pour the Worcestershire evenly over the mixture.
- Using your clean hands, mix until evenly moistened and combined. The mix should hold together in a ball.
- Roll into 1/2 or 1 Tablespoon balls (makes 2 – 4 dozen).
- Optional: To keep the sausage balls as round as possible, freeze the trays for 45 minutes.
- Bake for 25 minutes, rotating the pans after 15 minutes.
- Balls are done when they are a bit crisp on the bottom, the tops are golden brown, and they are firm with an internal temp of 145° F.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Use Hot Sausage or add Cayenne Pepper for extra zip.
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved