19 December, 2021
Wine – MulledPosted in : Misc on by : MikeZ
Crockpot or Stovetop – This warm spiced wine is a delicious addition to your holiday entertaining. Difficulty: Beginner
- 4 – 5 Qt. Slow Cooker or Large Pot
- 10 Whole Cloves
- 5 Whole Cinnamon Sticks - plus extra for garnish
- 3 Star Anise - plus extra for garnish
- 750 mL Dry Red Wine - Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir
- 1 cup Apple Cider
- 3 Clementines - sliced + extra for garnish
- ½ cup Grand Marnier or Brandy
- 2 Tbsp. Pure Maple Syrup (or Honey) - NOT Pancake Syrup
- Place the whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, and star anise into the middle of a square of cheesecloth. Fold the corners of the cheesecloth together and use kitchen string to tie it into a satchel to contain the spices.
- Pour the red wine, apple cider, and sliced clementines into a deep dutch oven or pot. Add in your spice satchel.
- Heat over medium heat and bring just to steaming. (No heavy simmer or boil.) Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes up to 1 hour. The longer it cooks, the spicier it becomes.
- Remove the spice satchel. Gently stir in the brandy and maple syrup, if using.
- Pour the red wine, apple cider, and sliced clementines into a 3 to 4 quart crockpot. Add in your spice satchel.
- Set your crockpot to low, cover and heat the wine for 1 hour, or until hot. Turn your crockpot to WARM and remove the spice satchel. Gently stir in the brandy and maple syrup, if using.
Serve mulled wine warm with extra clementine slices, cinnamon sticks, and star anise.
Copyright © 2021 – 2022 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved