20 February, 2022
Cheese – EasterPosted in : Appetizers, Breakfast, Misc, Sides on by : MikeZ
This simple to make cheese is a generations-old tradition among Slovaks as part of the Easter Morning Break-fast paired with ham on Paska (Easter Bread), Difficulty: Easy
- 2 Large Bowls
- Whisk or Immersion Blender
- Large Pot or Double Boiler (Optional)
- 6 Eggs
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Cream
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Raisins - Regular or White – Optional
- I pinch Nutmeg
- Whisk Eggs, Milk, and Cream together until smooth.
- Add Salt, Sugar, and Vanilla Extract and continue to whisk. Use an Immersion Blender for an ultra-smooth mixture making sure no salt or sugar granuals remain.
- In a large pot or Double Boiler slowly cook the mixture over medium low heat stirring CONSTANTLY until misture resembles scrambled eggs with whey running clear and curds beginning to clump. (Approx. 30 Minutes)
- Remove from heat. Place a colander lined with a square of cheesecloth into a large bowl to catch dripping whey.
- Pour the mixture into the cheese cloth and allow to cool sufficiently to handle.
- Gather the corners of the cloth and spin the cloth tight to squeeze out as much liquid as possible making the cheese into a ball.
- Using Butcher's String, tie up the ball and hang it from a wooden spoon laid across the bowl. OR hang above your sink so more liquid can drip for 5 to 8 hours.
- Remove cheese from cloth and wrap the cheese in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight.
Best served on Easter Bread (Paska) with a slice of Ham on Easter morning. CAUTION: This cheese does NOT keep well (even when refrigerated) for more than a day or two.
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved