1 November, 2021
Cream PuffsPosted in : Cookies, Desserts on by : MikeZ
Sicilian Cream Puffs (TESTA DI TURCO)
Testa di Turco (Moors’ Head) is a Sicilian dessert prepared all over Sicily. On the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (December 8th) the Teste di Turco are prepared in every Palermo home. Difficulty: Medium
- 4 Qt. Heavy Saucepan
- Medium Sauce Pot
- 12” Covered Skillet with Deep Sides
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Rolling Pin
- 1 Egg - large
- 6 oz. Flour
- 1 quart Vegetable Oil. - For Frying Dough
- 4 cups Milk
- 1 ¼ cups Sugar
- Grated rind of 1 Lemon
- 6 Egg Yolks
- ½ cup Cake Flour - or 1/3 cup Corn Starch
- pinch Salt.
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Powdered Cinnamon
- PASTRY DOUGH
- Dust working surface with flour and place dough in center; briefly knead and shape into a single mass. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough evenly to about 1/8 of an inch. Cut into strips 2 to 3 inches wide and about 5 inches long.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in Frying Pan and when hot, fry the strips of dough until golden-brown, a few pieces at a time. Set aside on paper towels to absorb oil.
- CREAM FILLING
- Heat the milk with salt and the rinds of the lemon in the saucepan, on low heat. In a large bowl mix the sugar and the flour or corn starch and add the egg yolks one at a time, stirring with a wire whisk until well homogenized.
- When the milk is warm in the sauce pot, add 1 cup to the bowl, stirring continuously to avoid lumping. Increase the heat a little, transfer the egg mixture into the pot with the milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly until it thickens and bubbles; cook for an additional 2 min. Remove from stove, and place in a bowl.
- FINAL ASSEMBLY
- In a rimmed serving dish, large enough to hold 2 layers of the fried dough, place half of the strips and cover with ¾ of the custard, sprinkle with the chocolate chips and dust with abundant powdered cinnamon.
- Cover with remaining strips of fried dough, spread on top the rest of the cream and shake over the colored sprinkles. Place in refrigerator for a few hours and serve cold.
Copyright © 2021 – 2022 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved