24 December, 2021
Kolache RollsPosted in : Cookies on by : MikeZ
Traditional Nut, Poppy Seed, or Apricot-filled rolls. This recipe makes 3 rolls.Difficulty: Expert
- Several Baking Sheets
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 6 Eggs - Blend: 6 well-beaten
- 1 Lb. Butter - (4 Sticks) less 1 Tbsp.
- 8 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 Pkgs. Active Dry Yeast
- 2 Tbsp. Baking SODA
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 Lbs. Walnuts - ground – 8 cups
- 1 Lb. Poppy Seed - ground
- 1 Lb. Dried Apricots – Drained
- 4 cups Milk
- 1 ½ cups Sugar (or Honey) - use only 1 cup Sugar for Apricots
- 1 cup Golden Raisins (Optional in poppy seed filling)
- Microwave Raisins or Apricots in water to reconstitute. Let cool.
- Mix Filling Ingredients.
- All ingredients should be room temperature.
- Blend eggs, butter, sugar, and yeast
- Beat slowly; let stand 1/2 hour to activate the yeast.
- Mix Flour with SODA.
- Slowly add flour mixture. Mix well. Then knead, adding warm milk if needed.
- Let rise for at least 3 hours in a warm place.
- Pre Heat Oven to 325° – 350°F
- Divide dough into 3 parts and roll out each using a flour/sugar mixture on the rolling surface. Thinner dough makes for moister rolls.
- Spread a thin layer of filling on the dough and roll with each seam on the bottom and the ends tucked in. Seal the ends but don't put too much dough into those end tucks.
- Baste rolls with mixture of egg yolks plus 1 tsp. sugar
- Bake 25-30 minutes (Watch for doneness by LIGHT Brown color.)
- Slice and serve with a dusting of Powdered Sugar.
Recipe by Mrs. Justina Repasky, Youngstown, Ohio, December 1975
Copyright © 2021 – 2022 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved