5 November, 2021
Cookies – Angel WingsPosted in : Cookies on by : MikeZ
A true Slovak favorite – probably Russian, Ukrainian, and Polish, as well. They are sprinkled liberally with powdered sugar. When making them, feel free to double the recipe – they are quite delicious!Difficulty: Medium
- Medium Pot for Frying
- Large Pastry Mat or Rolling Board
- 2 cups Flour
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 6 Tbsp Sour Cream
- ½ gallon Vegetable Oil
- Fill a medium-sized pot a 1/3 full with Oil and heat to 350°F.
- Prepare a plate covered with a paper towel to lay the fried strips on as you remove them from the pot.
- Sift 2 cups of Flour onto a pastry mat and form a large hole in the middle.
- Slowly pour the Egg Yolks into the middle, one at a time. Begin to gather the flour and the eggs together as you do this, blending the ingredients together.
- Add Salt, Baking Powder, and Sour Cream and continue kneading with your hands.
- Finally, add in the Vinegar and knead the dough.
- Once the dough is fully formed and smooth continue to knead, pressing harder and tossing it against the mat. This will aerate the dough making the angel wings lighter and crispy.
- Divide the finished dough into 5 smaller pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 6” wide rectangle until it is very thin.
- Cut into 6” x 1” rectangular strips.
- Cut a small slit lengthwise through the middle of each strip and then weave one end of each strip through the hole to make a small knot (or twist) being careful not to rip the dough!
- Once your oil is hot, you can begin frying the Angel Wings a few at a time.
- The strips will fry very fast. Remove each from the oil as soon as it is a light, golden color.
- Set on that a paper towel to drip.
- Once the Angel Wings have cooled, carefully place them in a pile on a serving platter and generously sift powdered sugar over them
Copyright © 2021 – 2023 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved