2 November, 2021
Bread – Ham & SwissPosted in : Bread on by : MikeZ
Ham & Swiss Bread
I'm not sure it's Slovak, but it's simple and really good – hot out of the oven or at room temp.Difficulty: Easy
- Baking Sheet
- Medium Bowl
- Rolling Pin
- 1 loaf Frozen White Bread Dough - Thawed
- 3 cups Chopped Ham
- 1 slice Ham - 12 oz.
- 1 cups Swiss Cheese - chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 1 tbs. Dijon Mustard
- 1 Egg - Beaten to brush on before baking
- Oil to grease Bowl and Baking Sheet - to grease Bowl and Baking Sheet
- Place dough (after thawing) in a medium-sized greased bowl in a warm place. Cover with plastic wrap (or a dish towel) and allow it to almost double in size.
- Once the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and punch it down.
- Form into a log shape 8″ long on a floured surface.
- Place dough on a greased cookie sheet and flatten it into a rectangle about 11″ x 13′ using your hands or a rolling pin.
- Mix Ham, Cheese, Mustard, and Mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Spread mixture lengthwise along the center third of the rectangle.
- Make 3” to 4” cuts at 1″ intervals along both sides of the dough like fringe on an Old West vest.
- Starting at one end of the dough and working toward the other end, take the end of a strip from each side and slightly crisscross them in the middle of the loaf overlapping in a slight herringbone pattern.
- Cover again and let double in size.
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Brush the beaten Egg on the risen bread.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown.
Copyright © 2021 – 2022 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved