4 October, 2021
Sausage Loaf – ItalianPosted in : Pork on by : MikeZ
Italian Sausage Loaf
Servings 8 Slices
- 2 Lbs Italian Sausage
- 8 oz. Bacon
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese - shredded
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper - chopped
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper - chopped
- 1 large Onion - chopped
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
- ⅛ tsp. Salt
- ⅛ tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Form the Sausage into a ball and place it in the center of a 12″ x 16″ sheet of foil. Flatten the ball so it is at least 1″ smaller than the foil on 3 sides and about 1/2″ thick.
- To make the stuffing, mix the Bell Peppers, Onion, Oregano, Salt, and Pepper in a bowl.
- Add a single layer of stuffing to within 1″ of the edge of the Sausage.
- Add just enough Cheese to cover the stuffing. Set the rest of the stuffing and cheese aside
- Lift one edge of the foil and roll the sausage around the stuffing, making a loaf.
- Lay the bacon on top of the loaf with a small gap between each strip while tucking any loose ends under the loaf.
- Seal the seam and ends with your fingers. Pat it into an even thickness.
- Place the loaf, still wrapped in foil, on a baking sheet or into a loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes (Internal temp of 160°F). The Bacon should be done.
- While it is baking, add the Olive Oil and the remaining Bell Peppers and Onions to a frying pan and saute’ until soft.
- Slice the loaf between Bacon strips and add the extra cooked Veggies over each slice.
Serving suggestion: One slice atop your favorite Pasta with Marinara Sauce.
Copyright © 2021 – 2022 – Mike Zets, Sylvania, Ohio USA – All Rights Reserved